Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Music as Therapy? Yes!

A recent New York Times article discusses how music can be used like medicine. I don't know about you, but music has always served a therapeutic benefit to me. I suppose we audiophiles simply want a better "fix" than the average person, so we go to great lengths to acquire a system that will bring us that feeling we so desire.

I think the American public for the most part has forgotten, or has never experienced, the thrill, goosebumps, or relaxation good sounding music can bring. If there isn't video accompanying the sound, they aren't interested in just sitting, and only listening. Music is now something you listen to while doing something else. Background noise to fill the void.

I have hope that music therapy will catch on, and it may be a convergence of this, cheaper bandwidth and data storage that could possibly create an audiophile renaissance in the near future. If only the music industry would stop compressing the life out of recordings. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. "I think the American public for the most part has forgotten, or has never experienced, the thrill, goosebumps, or relaxation good sounding music can bring."

    Absolutely. You just prefaced the "audio epiphany" I recently had. I realize this post is a few years old. I think your renaissance is slowly coming to fruition. Look at the popularity of Beats; good sound is slowly becoming important again, and it will only be a matter of time before Beats and Bose users will want to step up to the next level. Vinyl is resurging as well. HD music streaming and downloading should only help move people back towards hi-fi desires.

    As for the therapeutic aspect, I totally agree. Once I started listening to music in my listening room before bed, I started sleeping better than I have in...years.

    ReplyDelete