Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bybee Power Cord and the High Fidelity Cables CT-1 Ultimate Part 2

In Part 1 we covered the High Fidelity CT-1 Ultimate and Bybee power cord construction, design principles, and a review of the CT-1 power cord performance. These were 2 similar approaches to power cord design, with 2 distinct executions of these approaches. I really didn't want to compare cables directly, although in listening to both I could not really avoid it.

In comparison to the High Fidelity CT-1 Ultimate power cable, the first thing I noticed right off the bat was that the Bybee had a more forward  balance that suited the Auralic Vega DAC and Ryan Speakers a little better. The CT-1 Ultimate seemed a dB or two more recessed in the highs, lending a warm and smooth character of the sound, and pushing the soundstage a few feet behind the loudspeakers. The Bybee had the same depth and soundstaging, but the starting point of the soundstage was about a foot forward of the CT-1 Ultimate.

In the resolution department, the Bybee was very, very good. I heard every bit of detail that I heard with the CT-1 Ultimate. Dynamics were there, harmonics too. There might have been a slight bit of grain, but mind you we are splitting nanotubes here. In my modest system, the Bybee holds it's own quite well against the CT-1 Ultimate. This may prove different in a more exotic system, but nontheless the Bybee is a very good cord. Perhaps raising the performance bar for cords in the $1500 price range.

I could live with either of these cords for a long time. They help my audio components perform magic in my listening room. Creating an experience that is relaxing and very enjoyable. It really comes down to preferences and budget. I can't really call the Bybee "the poor man's CT-1 Ultimate" because it is simply different in it's presentation. But I can say that if you are looking to spend $1500 to $10,000 on a power cord for your audio component (s), you absolutely owe it to yourself to try the Bybee power cord in your system. You might just find musical bliss, and save a hell of a lot of cash...

No comments:

Post a Comment