Computer audio does not have to be scary. The benefits of storing all of your music a computer are, ease of access, portability, and yes in some cases better sound. The number of high resolution recordings is growing every day. The sheer amount of data on these recordings is greater than what can be stored on a CD, making the potential for better sound quality a reality. Even if the quality is "only" CD or (gulp) even less, storing music on your PC for the sheer portability of doing so allows the possibility of transporting your music to every room of your house without carrying stacks of CDs with you. Imagine, your entire music collection available to you on the patio, at the pool, in your bedroom, home office or garage. The benefits are huge, and the opportunities to enjoy your music outside of your listening room are here. Heck it might even provide an opportunity for you to share your passion in ways you never thought. We love our music, and the good it does for our soul, why not explore PC audio? You might find yourself enjoying music a lot more often....Now, on to my top resources.
- Benchmark Media Audio Wiki - You will find tons of information on how to set up a PC or Mac for computer audio. If you are new to PC audio, this is a great place to start.
- HD Tracks - HD tracks is at the forefront of providing a downloadable, high resolution music. If you like classical, blues and jazz, you will be very happy. Rock? you might find a few gems like the Pixies or Interpol.
- Pandora Streaming Radio - Let me warn you, Pandora is NOT about hi rez sound quality, its about discovery. You simply tell Pandora who your favorite artists are, and it will create a "radio station" around that (or those) artists, sprinkling in some new and/or similar artists that you may never have heard of. Prepare to listen for hours and discover some great music. One of the best things to happen on the internet besides TweekGeek ;) .
- DBPowerAmp - It has a strange name, but this software application allows you to rip your CD collection to a hard disk, complete with artwork, all bit-perfect thanks to AccurateRip.
- iTunes - You can actually download lossless music from iTunes as well. Explore better sound quality, and they have a pretty kick-ass software application for playback too. Not that it is the best sounding, but it probably has the best user interface.\
- Foobar2000.org - for the more adventurous Windows user, Foobar 2000 offers some sonic advantages over many other playback applications. Playback of ultra high rez files being one
- What are some of your favorite Computer audio resources? Tell us and you automatically enter for a chance to win an M2Tech hiFace USB to digital audio interface.