Saturday, June 5, 2021

QSA Fuses: THE New Top Tier Tweaks In The Tweek Geek Arsenal

The Red QSA Fuses ($1400) are what I started with. Other QSA fuses can be had for as little as $28.50 

Let me say this right up front. My past experiences carrying fuses has taught me that it is a total pain in the ass to sell audiophile fuses. No matter what you stock, there is always the obscure fuse that is in demand. The moment you get stock of it, nobody wants it any longer. You are constantly out of something, and someone is always complaining. For me carrying fuses is a masochistic endeavor.

Let me also say that Tweek Geek is doing really, really well without selling fuses. I do not need the money.

So why on earth am I writing about fuses?

Because the value the QSA fuses represent, and the sonic benefit they bring have me excited enough  that it is worth it for me to share with you. I am no martyr for doing this, I knew what I was getting into this time, and to me it is worth it.

I love audio and music, I love discovering something that makes the experience of listening to music more emotionally engaging and cathartic/Therapeutic. This has been the motivation for my journey in this hobby, and I am sure yours is quite similar. The paths we take to move towards the destination are different, the the desired result is the same. 

The punchline: QSA fuses have DRAMATICALLY altered the listening experience that my audio system creates for the better. Not since my discovery of the Bybee Purifier back in 2000 have I been this excited about a product. This product is even better than the Bybee Purifier, or any other tweak I have tried. Ever. This coming from a guy who calls himself The Tweek Geek.

The Black Fuses hold their own against any other fuse on the market and start at $28.50


How did I discover QSA fuses?

A few weeks back, I received phone calls from 2 of my Tweak Guru's extolling the virtues of the $2800 QSA fuses. I believed what they said, but my internal dialogue was saying "I don't care if the heavens open up and angels sing before me, there is no way a fuse makes $2800 worth of difference in ANY component regardless of cost. How could I even sell these!?". I sat and listened, uh huh. Uh huh. Wow! Really? I totally believed them, but I could not be moved to try them. 

Then Clement called. Clement Perry is the force behind StereoTimes review web site. He was always a big proponent of Jack Bybee's products, and always wrote accurate descriptions of their effects in his reviews. I could trust his ears, because his preferences were similar to mine. He tells me "This fuse will make a $10,000 amp sound like a $50,000 amp". I was starting to crack. I suppose if you put it that way, paying $2800 for a $40,000 improvement would save a person $37,200, and their significant other would never find out.... Oh boy.

So 2 fuses showed up one weekend. Not the $2800 version, but the 2nd tier $1400 version.  A single, tiny red box held a 2.5 amp and a 10 amp 5x20mm slow blow fuse. There were red stickers with directional arrows on them, and some sort of black sticker as well. I couldn't really see the filaments through the stickers, and a quick shake revealed to me that there were no crystalline materials inside. It looked as if all treatments were to the exterior of the fuse.

I powered down my Innuos Statement, unplugged it, replaced the stock fuse being mindful of directionality, plugged the Statement back in, turned it on, and waited for it to boot up. It took about one millisecond to hear the difference, and before an impression could even register it began changing, smoothing, becoming more natural, relaxed, way quieter, more resolving, more presence, way bigger, way more 3D, WAY MORE EMOTION. I emphasized the last descriptive term because that is where the effects of this fuse seemed to have the most effect on me. When all of those other factors lock in, you can't help but stop whatever you are doing, and listen with amazement.  If I could put a dollar figure on this level of improvement, I would say $5000 to $10,000. Yep, 5k to 10k worth of cabling, or component improvements might get you here, to this level. I got it for $1400. 

I installed the 10 amp fuse in my Audio Hungary Qualiton XP200 tube amplifier. I had already tube rolled this amp, upgrading the KT-120 to KT-150 for more low end punch and dynamics, Some Amperex Holland E3-88C, and a pair of Telefunken black diamond 12AX7 (ECC83). This is a phenomenal tube integrated, and the addition of the fuse lowered the noise floor, allowing so much more low level detail to come through. Vocals through my Harbeth Monitor 30.2 speakers were so rich and real. Harmonics were also more natural, separate, and real. Textures so subtle and fine were naturally just "there". The soundstage was so much more 3D as well. Spooky 3D. Another interesting thing was turning up the volume did not change the tone or quality of the sound. It was as clean and clear as it was at lower volumes. That could be dangerous for those who play their music loud. It doesn't seem loud with the fuses in place. It seems the fuses are removing all of the cues that tell us the music is increasing in volume. Of course until your amplifier clips, then you'll receive a rude awakening.

The Blue QSA fuses are $71, and will beat any other fuse on the market.


Conclusion

The sound that these fuses allowed my components to create, the improvement wrought is as significant and as impactful on my experience of listening as the original Bybee Purifiers were when I first heard them back in 2000, and more recently the Bybee V2's. The fuses effect was more signifiant than the Stein Harmonizer system I originally heard around 2007. Both the Bybee and Steinmusic products shifted my paradigm of what a listening experience should be at the time I experienced them. I couldn't look back, and would not be satisfied with less once I heard these devices in my system. 

The QSA fuses receive my highest honor. 5 Tinfoil hats.

Fuses For All

Fortunately, you don't have to shell out $1400 to get a taste of this effect. It can be had, albeit in smaller doses, for as little as $28.50. 

In addition to the $1400 Red fuse, I have tried the black ($28.50 each), Blue ($71), and Yellow ($213) fuses so far in my system and can say that all offer value far beyond their price. Each offers a level of improvement, and it is consistent in a "house sound" sort of way as one moves up the line. The overall sonic benefits:

  • More low level information
  • Expansion of the soundstage in all dimensions
  • "life". The system wakes up, becomes livelier, more engaging, without tension but with a naturalness and emotional element that is hard to put into words. 

If I hadn't heard the $1400 fuse I could be perfectly happy with the clarity, lower noise floor and engagement factor any of the QSA fuses produce. 

I hope you get the chance to try one of these fuses. I don't think you will regret it. I as Tweek Geek try to make it as painless and easy for you with a money back guarantee, and a limited time fuse trade up program.






No comments:

Post a Comment